You may get preached at quite a bit to consume brain foods. But what does that mean other than eating your veggies and fruits and why is it so important to feed your brain specifically?
Well, other than the obvious fact that the brain is one of the most important organs in the body, it is also the organ that gets to call dibs first on all nutrients that enter the body. There are certain foods, though, that the brain seems to prefer I order to do its job accordingly. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, flavanols, polyphenols, antioxidants and omega- 3 fatty acids contribute greatly to protecting the brain while improving concentration and memory.
Another side of the science is the connection of nutrients and the performance of our neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are the messengers of our brain so to speak, they allow the brain to carry messages from one cell to the other which affect our thoughts, moods, and actions.
This is why you may have to apologize to the ones you care about for something you’ve said or done while being hangry, don’t worry, it wasn’t the real you, it was just your brain not having the nutrients it needed to get you to your happy place. To avoid getting to that state, here are some examples of Brain foods and the nutrients that your Brain will thank you for consuming:
- Salmon: Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Blueberries: Vitamin C, Vitamin K, phytonutrients, and Manganese
- Eggs: Choline, one of the most foundational neurotransmitters
- Leafy Greens: Vitamin E
- Avocado and Avocado Oil: Monounsaturated fats
- Asparagus: Folate and prebiotic fiber
- Lamb: contributes to long-term cognition
- Coconut Oil: aids in the use of energy
And guess what else is on the list…..
- Red Wine and Dark Chocolate: they are both high in polyphenols, which assist in blood flow, when consumed in moderation, of course.
In conclusion, we all benefit from consuming brain foods, whether you’re a child or an adult the same principles of nutrients aiding the way we learn, feel, and think apply. The better you feed your brain the better it will work and the better you will feel.